Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review (Spoiler Free)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Review
     This is the second film in the Spider-Man universe that is directed by Mark Webb and starring Andrew Garfield. This movie is all over the place. It tries to be centered toward kids at times (with a lighter, happier tone) and tries to be an adult film (with a darker tone) at times. Comic-Book films in this era need to be one or the other.  A good superhero movie needs to feel like it's grounded in reality, this one didn't. There were so many plot holes and stuff generally did not make sense. 
     One of the positives in this movie are the relationships. It doesn't matter if your talk about Peter and Gwen, Peter and Aunt May, Spider-Man and Electro, Peter and Harry, every single one felt believable and not like total bull crap (like with Toby McGuire and Kristen Dunst). The performances were great. I do believe that Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker then McGuire was. 
     Another thing I consider to be an important element to make a good comic-book movie is a good villain. The villain needs to seem believable and needs to be portrayed well and they need to make sense. Jamie Foxx as Electro did that. He made you feel for the character. When they casted Dane Dehaan I was freaking excited. I loved him in Chronicle. He was a perfect Harry Osborne. His eyes just take you immediately into the character. Dane Dehaan's portrayal of Harry Osbourne (not Green Goblin) was my favorite in the movie. There was one villain who I thought was pointless. He was only in it for less then 5 minutes. And that was Paul Giamatti as the Rhino. What a waste of talent.
     There were some negatives believe it or not. One is the tone. It was all over the place. At one moment it felt like a kids film, the next it felt like a adult one. I know I brought that up before but, it was one of my strong negatives about it. I never felt engaged enough to care about what was going on.
     The movie was forgettable. I didn't remember anything about it after the 48 hours of me seeing it. That's not a good thing. You want a movie to stick in your head.  Some parts of the movie didn't make sense. There is this one part (no spoiler) where Spider-Man is talking to a little boy on the streets right in front of the Rhino (who had machine guns and missiles). Rhino didn't even try to attack them! At least we could have some little bit of conflict between them. I talked about how much I loved Harry in this movie but, the green goblin was poorly executed. You only saw him for about 3 minutes. I say that if a villain is not going to be in it for at least 15 minutes cut him out. Save them for the next movie. 
     Overall The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was disappointing and forgettable. I didn't care about what was going on. It felt think the only reason for this film was to set up for Spider-Man 3 and 4 and the upcoming Sinister Six (the group of Spider-Man's villains) movie. It felt like they didn't care about this one. They didn't care that it was sloppy and not well done, they just rushed it.  Out of the 5 Spider-Man movies that have come out, this is my 4th. It goes Spider-Man (2002), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), Spider-Man 2 (2004), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014), and Spider-Man 3 (2007). I would rate The Amazing Spider-Man 2 a 6.5/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment