Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Man From U.N.C.L.E Review

          The Man From U.N.C.L.E is directed by Sherlock Holmes 1 & 2 director Guy Ritchie and stars Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) and Armie Hammer (The Lone Ranger, Social Network). The movie tells the story about two agents during the Cold War. One from the CIA (Cavill) and the other from the KGB (Hammer). The two enemy agents are forced to team up to try and stop an evil organization that is trying to rapidly produce nuclear weapons. 
          I didn't enjoy The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as much as I though I would. It was disappointing. 
          The biggest problem with the movie is the cast/characters. You don't care about them. You are never attached to them. It seems like they are just there and have no real purpose in the movie. There is one exception to this though. Henry Cavill is fantastic in the film. There is no question that he was the best part. Unlike the other characters, we got to know the background to his character so we actually cared about him. He was the only one that seemed like he had purpose. He had great one-liners, and portrayed his character exactly how it needed to be. He was the only one where his line delivery was entertaining.  Cavill has a whole bunch of charisma and shines every time he is on screen. 
          The script was an issue. The story was all over the place. It was very hard to tell what was going on. It was rather confusing at points. This is due to the poor direction. The style it was directed in was they style I like to call "action with little story." In this directing style they know that the best parts about the movie is their action scenes. So within their action scenes they put key story elements hoping that you will catch these key details. However, we are so focused on the action that we completely miss the story details we have to catch in order to get what was going on. Then they assume we catch the details so the non-action scenes are really confusing. It's very hard to enjoy the movie when you don't know what's going on.  Because the movie was hard to follow the way the movie ended seemed to contradict it's self. This could have been fixed by ending the movie 5-10 minutes earlier. The other big problem I found with the script was the jokes fell flat about 55% of the time. The only time they worked is when Cavill said the joke. Every other time the jokes just didn't make me laugh. Some were even cringe worthy. 
          The action scenes were awesome. They were cleanly done and you could follow the action really well. The action scenes were by far the best part in this movie. I wish there were more so I could've enjoyed this film a little more then I did. The thing that helped the action scenes was the cinematography. It's done in a way where you can see every little detail that is happening. 
          My favorite thing about this movie (other than Cavill) was the score/soundtrack. It's something I could listen to over, and over again and never get tired of it. The score is in my top 3 of the year. It was fantastic. I'm listening to it as I'm writing this. 
         Overall The Man From U.N.C.L.E is mediocre fun. It's not a movie you will be dying to see again after you first watch it, but it is a movie that you would want to see again once it comes to redbox or a dollar theater. I liked it enough that I want a sequel just to see how they can improve upon this movie and I would like to see the characters continue. I will give this movie a 6.4/10 
          
          
          
         



No comments:

Post a Comment